Bluebeam Revu

Write a Review!
PDF editing & markup on the go with built-in collaboration

4.5/5
4.6/5
4.3/5
4.3/5

Clarissa
Clarissa

Very comprehensive pdf editing software - I'll never go back to Adobe!!!

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

I spend a lot less time posting changes and as-builts, but with much more professional results. I also love the time it's cut down on creating our punch lists and tracking the completion of those items.

Pros

I love that it can "read" my plans, and help me with my takeoffs. The search function can look for either words or symbols, and is incredibly useful when I'm looking for something specific.

The different user type profiles are tailored to show the tools and functions that someone in that role would be more likely to use the most. It's easy to switch between these profiles, even when viewing the same file, so no matter what or how many hats I'm wearing that day, it's easy to find the tools that I need for the job I'm doing.

The customizable tool box is great - I can use the existing tools, or create my own! These are handy for posting as-builts, as well as for doing take offs and estimates.

I love all the short cut keys!! Instead of using my mouse to select tool options, I can simply use the "G" key to take a "photo" of a certain part of my open file, or "C" to cloud an area. I use these frequently and it really cuts down the time I spend posting changes to our drawings.

There are so many tools, functions, and options, that you're sure to find everything you need for seamless and efficient construction drawing management!

Cons

At first, it was a bit overwhelming to use. There are so many tools and menus that it definitely took a little time to learn; however, Bluebeam offers hundreds of short "how-to" videos on many different topics. After watching these, and using the software for a few weeks, it got much easier.

Ajinkya Mohan
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

A great software for engineering firms

Reviewed on 06/09/2021

I am very happy with the software. I have been using it for over an year now and I definitely recommend it to anyone who is starting off in an engineering firm. You will spend a large part of your time working with this software. It has all the bells and whistles and there is literally nothing more than you can want out of it. However, this sometimes makes it difficult to find some stuff. I would like to see an option to toggle between a simple document review option (similar to Adobe Acrobat Pro) and a detailed drawing review option. Otherwise I am very happy and it manages to surprise me everyday with the sheer amount of features available.

Pros

Primarily one might feel it's just another PDF reviewer and editor similar to Adobe Acrobat Pro, but this is more catered towards engineering jobs. It's easy to make markups on the drawings, with specific options like revision clouds, grid lines among other things. One can also make some specific markups and save them in their tool box. One neat feature is the ability to compare two documents by overlaying them on top of each other. This is especially helpful to check if their were any changes in different revisions of the drawings which can be easily missed by a normal human review.

Cons

Since it's so much loaded with features, sometimes it becomes difficult to find exactly what you needed to do. It is in such times that I miss the simplicity of Adobe Acrobat Pro, where the User Interface is clean. But then again Adobe is catered towards a general document review whereas Bluebeam Revu caters engineering firms. I would like to see an option to turn on and off the detailed User Interface to get a more simplistic Adobe like interface as required.

Josh

No Support

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

Technical support is non existent.

Technical support is non existent.

Pros

All the pros of this software are irrelevant because of how bad the support staff is.

Cons

Customer support is the worst I have ever dealt with. I bought bluebeam because the explained all of the great things you can do connecting to your employees through their I pad and I phone apps. After looking into it we were excited and bought the program. After the program was purchased they explained to be that I can't use the I phone app unless I purchase the $150 maintenance plan. Felt like I got suckered in but also figured I am new to the program and the added help couldn't hurt. 3 months in and I have one of our foremans I pad that will not connect to Blue beam. I call tech support and they inform that they cannot help be over the phone and that I need to email them. After explaining to them that I have 20 employees sitting on a job site with no plans and nothing to do they inform me again that all they can do is have me email me the problem because tech support over the phone doesn't cover the i pad and the i phone apps. Keep in mind I had to have the tech support in order to use the I phone app??? It has been an hour and a half and I just had to send all of our employees home with no work. I will be leaving bluebeam and moving our company to procore.

Justin
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

2nd to none

Reviewed on 04/09/2019

Bluebeam compliments our takeoff program very well. It is very useful for generating individual files out of a large set that are uniquely named by the drawing number and name (or however you wish to name them), which then allows me to import those files into the program without the need for manually typing in the descriptions. Saves an inordinate amount of time at the start of a takeoff for each job.

Pros

There is no PDF program out there to my knowledge that comes anywhere close to this program when it comes to the construction industry. We have been using this program for 6 years now, and the advancements the developers have made have been fantastic. All of our estimators and project managers have at least Bluebeam Revu, some have Extreme. The text recognition for creating page labels/bookmarks is fantastic (has improved greatly over time). The Sets feature is top notch as well, particularly for keeping up with jobs that have numerous revised drawing sets. The takeoff module is quite powerful, although we do not really take advantage of it's full potential as we already had an on-screen takeoff program.

Cons

I honestly have not been a huge fan of the new look in the 2018 version, but that's probably just because I was used to the old look after years of use. Some of our users are overwhelmed with all of the options, buttons, and menus, but that's really just the nature of the beast with a program with so many tools.

Susan

Bluebeam Revu is the best product on the market

Reviewed on 10/06/2021

Its more than a PDF viewer or an annotation tool. I can do takeoff any project efficiently for estimates with all the assorted program tools. It is the best platform for Constructability Reviews through studio sessions that allows all team players to collaborate with each other to avoid conflict between each engineering discipline.

Pros

It's the best software that allows simplicity for any type of project involving engineering drawings, estimating or constructability reviews whether going solo or as a team in Studio Sessions.

Cons

I have been using Bluebeam for over 15 years and had never an issue that couldn't be resolved. The support personnel can make magic happen within seconds to solve any problem.

Jesse
  • Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

Most vital piece of software we use at our company

Reviewed on 03/11/2022

The best investment we have made with a piece of software by far.

The best investment we have made with a piece of software by far.

Pros

Bluebeam is easy to use and has a vast amount of tools available for handling anything you want to do with a document.

Cons

The program can be slow on a tablet away from the office.

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

We bought Bluebeam Revu through the advice of colleagues. This is the standard for construction.
Alexis

BlueBeam Revu Review

Reviewed on 10/04/2023

I would highly recommend Bluebeam Revu over almost any other PDF reader/modifier. Its simplicity is refreshing. I think that if more people knew about the product they would switch from Adobe.

Pros

Bluebeam is simple to learn and use. There are so many handy tools, and I don't even use a lot of them in my line of work but I know others who do. I particularly like the cloud tool to bring attention to revisions, but also like the text editor and the ability to scale from a set of drawings by picking two points with a known dimension.

Cons

I think most of the tools are really great, but I would like to see a few more options for shapes that can be drawn. I use some of them to create easy to read legends for a particular set of drawings.

Gina

BlueBeam Revue is my FAVE!

Reviewed on 31/03/2022

I utilize BlueBeam Revu pretty much on a daily basis whether it be to open/review documents (as a PDF reader) or to edit/modify documents, invoices, etc. It has become a HUGE tool for me, a time saver AND a stress saver as well! :-)

Pros

After struggling through Adobe for many years, I was introduced to BlueBeam Revu about 3 years ago and it has made my life SO much more pleasant! The features and ease of use (once you have been properly trained) are a Godsend! The ability to relocate text placement more precisely is the most valuable tool for me.

Cons

I do struggle with changing the font sizes when creating new text boxes to be uniform to the last but not a deal breaker - LOL!!

James

Must have software for engineering companies

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

We use Bluebeam on a daily basis for the organization of drawing sets and reports. Bluebeam makes it possible to collaborate on project review with local and remote personnel. Bluebeam makes it possible to help reduce paper waste and to maintain project records for quality controls.

Pros

The robust features of Bluebeam make this essential software for engineering companies. Mark up and organize drawings, compare versions of documents, OCR capabilities, and online collaboration are just some of the many features.

Cons

Sometimes the icons are not as intuitive to me as they should be. Would be nice if Bluebeam would incorporate the Ribbon format that many other programs use.

Adobe XD

Reasons for Switching to Bluebeam Revu

Bluebeam is available at a better price point and provides superior capabilities to Adobe PDF markup products.
Aditya
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

The best software for engineers!

Reviewed on 25/08/2022

I am very satisfied with the BlueBeam and its capabilities. It makes my work more manageable and accessible.

Pros

BlueBeam supports many different file formats compared to Adobe Reader. It can open Image files and can open Internet browser through it. This makes it one stop solution station for multiple problems. It reduces workload. BlueBeam allows sessions that can be used by multiple organizations and trades and same time. This save project budget and time.

Cons

BlueBeam can not open 2 online sessions at same time. In order to that, you have to exit out of one session to access another. This is time consuming and unnecessary.

chandra
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

best for pdf viewer in modeling

Reviewed on 26/03/2022

its very good. uses daily, its very compatible with AutoCAD Revit and other software's where its gives best pdf viewer experience and editing marking or comment session. best options are availed to make changes for document. security is high. content is preserved.

Pros

any changes in the pdf it can be preserved with the owner with date and time itself. Variety of pdf editing options like text editing . marking highlight and work sharing with others. its can be operated with number of other software's to make pdf and print setting.

Cons

nothing much but its taking some time to load file at starting of opening.

Danielle
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

I can't live without Bluebeam

Reviewed on 23/09/2020

I honestly love Blue beam I was only using Adobe about 5 1/2 years ago and my supervisor made me start using Bluebeam and told me you will learn to love and not be able to use anything else, well he was right.

Pros

I love being able to mark up documents, measure them, sign them all in once place. I use bluebeam every hour of the day and it makes my job easier.

Cons

I don't like when their are updates that are taking place and it causes me to not be able to use some functions or certain features stop working correctly due to the update needed.

Ann

Best PDF Program for Architecture/Design/Construction

Reviewed on 26/08/2022

It has been a great collaborative tool for the company I work for. We are all in different locations and has made remote working much easier. Supervisors can look over files and redline things while another worker in a different location is correcting the items at the same time. It is also a great file management tool as the Sessions allow to keep document files together that many people can access simultaneously

Pros

The features that Bluebeam Revu has are far above and beyond to other PDF reading/editing software out there, especially for those that are in the design/construction industry. It has a slight learning curve when you're used to other programs, but once you learn, there is no going back.

The best feature in my opinion is the ability to collaborate in real time. When files are uploaded to a Session, multiple people can be in the same file at the same time. Someone can be marking up and making comments while others can be seeing these comments and revising things on their end at the same time. There is no need to wait for a person to finish marking up a file and send it in an email, it can be done simultaneously.

Cons

Honestly, there are not many cons about this software. The only issue I had with the program was the learning curve of how to use it, as I had to learn on my own.

Michael

Bluebeam Revu is to construction professionals what Excel is to finacial professionals

Reviewed on 13/10/2017

More than any other software package, Bluebeam is by far the most valuable to me in my daily work. Thanks Bluebeam!

Pros

I have been using BB Revu PDF software since 2010, when I switched from Adobe Professional. Revu is designed for construction personnel. I use it for reviewing documents and drawings, marking up, sketching, quantity take off, illustrating, presentations, flowchart and Org Chart creations - just almost everything. I convert word documents to PDF for reviewing. I add bookmarks as way-finder through large documents such as Specifications, Reports and Specifications etc. For drawing reviews or study, I compile large packs of PDF drawings into single PDF with drawing numbers visible under Bookmarks. With Revu you can have 2 (or more)drawings opened on your screen, from within the combined pack or separate files, for comparing eg Elevations and Sections or plans or details. Sometimes I use the auto compare feature in comparing updated drawing with an older version where the differences will be highlighted. The Search feature is extremely useful and I use it a lot in finding references in Specifications Codes and Reports etc. The Spaces feature is really good and impresses hugely when included within presentations. Signature feature also excellent. I use the Add Ins for Outlook, Word, Excel and CAD regularly. I find the Help Section and Bluebeam University incredible. The Developers really put themselves in the place of the "normal" user and provide excellent vide demos of all the features.

Cons

File sizes generated in marking up and sketching tend to be quite large. There are ways to reduce the file size but they do not work all the time - sometimes they increase the size.I have tried a few times to engage design consultants in the use of the Studio feature for real-time online collaboration without success. This is however is not the fault of the Studio feature - its just that the designers did not have the software.

Tyler

BlueBeam is a MUST for Construction!

Reviewed on 16/07/2018

Pros

I can't say enough good things about this software using it in the construction industry. I have used multiple different PDF editors but nothing comes close to as how good BlueBeam is. There is not much of a learning curve and you can learn the basics very quickly. It goes about as advanced as you would need and can do almost anything.

Marking up blueprints is straightforward and easy to do. There are multiple different callout shapes and easily input the tag on it. You can have a favorite toolset on a window for the most frequently used items such as your stamp, signature, check mark, etc... Once you collaborate the blueprint you can measure dimensions, surface, and volume.

Bluebeam integrates into most other software such as browsers, Microsoft Excel, and word. It has a quick button in these programs to easily convert it into a PDF inside of Bluebeam. If it does not have integration with the software you can print something and use Bluebeam as a printer to convert it into a PDF inside Bluebeam. You can even set spaces and do punch lists as well.

Everyone I work with loves with the product and nobody has a bad thing to say about it.

Cons

The only complaint I have been able to come up with but I'm sure it is user error is that my customized toolbar keeps reverting back to the default. I have locked the toolbar and messed with it but randomly every now goes back. I am unsure why this happens and is pretty frustrating when it does. Other than this no complaints.

Joey

Excellent PDF mark-up software with time-saving features and intuitive UI. Easy to use and...

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

Pros

There are several features that make this software very useful in engineering and project management. When marking-up PDF drawings or diagrams, the ability scale dimensions and measurements within the software is valuable. Many of the features included with the software are familiar to other software commonly used in the industry, and required no special training to use. I jumped right into using Bluebeam without any training or research, the user interface is that intuitive. Combining, converting, extracting, e-signing, and marking up PDF files has become a simple task which saves a tremendous amount of time. The feature to "lock" or "unlock" amendments to documents with the "flatten" feature is a nice touch.

Cons

Sometimes when converting MS Word docs to PDF using Bluebeam creates anomalies or unwanted formatting changes in the converted/output PDF file. This can be irksome for large documents, as QC of hundreds of pages to ensure document was converted to PDF accurately is sometimes necessary. Usually this only occurs with MS Word docs that use MS features that are not commonly used in document formatting or content. Regardless, peace of mind and confidence in formatting conversion would be nice to have, though this issue is also common to other similar software suites.

Sam
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Long Time Bluebeam Revu User - Best Day to Day Software I use

Reviewed on 11/09/2018

Like I said, I could not function on a daily basis without the use of Bluebeam. I have been a daily user for just about 3 years now and I couldn't say enough good things about this software solution and I know it isn't just the Construction Industry that utilizes this software. Anyone can!! Highly Recommend!!

Pros

Bluebeam is not only a construction industry standard now, it is a necessity!! I use this software on a daily basis and could not function without it. Some people look at it as a replacement for Adobe Acrobat as just a simple PDF viewer but it is so much more than that. I use it to dimension drawings with it's calibration tool, you can extract specific pages from large document packages mark them up and send them out, their OCR feature is something that I know our Project Engineers and Project Managers use all the time as well and that is just a start of what it can do. Highly recommend!! Worth every penny!!

Cons

The cons is simply that there is a learning curve to know how to utilize all of the features it offers. I still learn something new everyday and I have been using it for 2-3 years now. They have great training videos on the website that walk you through Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced features that I would highly recommend.

Eric

Grew too fast

Reviewed on 30/11/2020

At one time I was a passionate advocate for Bluebeam and recommended it to many people in person and online in organizations I am part of. Things are not what they used to be, they cannot seem to keep up with software updates and making the program functional without major crashes and problems with all of the platforms I have worked on in the last 4 years.

Pros

Bluebeam was the most fully inclusive pdf editor and set building software for the AEC industry. They took off fast and implemented wonderful tools. It appears they have grown to fast and are now not able to support the software and apps they have released. I had Bluebeam for Mac-they have discontinued, I have Bluebeam for iPad-almost unusable because of crashes and unknown problems they cannot fix. Now I have Bluebeam for pc and trying to buy a license but they are down. Too bad as it was a great software and hopefully they can get things together and stay viable.

Cons

See pros above. Sad to see this company falling apart.

Ana

Easy document based collaboration

Reviewed on 05/03/2022

Pros

This is an easy to use cloud based document storage that is accessible live by team members to mark up with a robust tool chest. Any type of document management, from idea brainstorming to architectural drawing set review, is easy to do in this program. It is also easy to track others’ or your own mark ups in the document, and set a status to the mark ups like completed or incomplete or in need of discussion. You can also alert a team member to a mark. The bluebeam session feature of revu is simple yet powerful. The bluebeam project feature is similar but is based on the idea of each sheet of a document being easy to check in or out by a team member, and mark up or replace back into the larger document.

Cons

I wish there was an easier way to swap out a document or sheet without losing the comments and their properties. I also wish there was a homepage feature for a project that teams could add milestone information, weekly or monthly tasks, and sort your notifications by priority that are within the bluebeam session.

Deniel

BlueBeam Review

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

Markups of documents for red lines and revisions. Calculation area/volume/length of certain items in drawings for use in construction planning and estimating

Pros

Excellent document markup interface, accurate measuring tools for estimating, OCR fairly accurate and tracking of markups

Cons

When integrated with InEight Documents, the time for opening and saving documents is extended. No notification when emailing document if the document is too large. When using print to bluebeam, characters and whole words are not transferred to the Bluebeam version of the document.

Tyler

Way more than just a .PDF program...

Reviewed on 15/05/2023

Pros

I love all of the takeoff features bluebeam has. Being tailor made for construction and having all of the same features as the competitors as well makes it a no Brainer for me.

Cons

Integration was easy. Learning the program is slightly different than competitors but there is a good help section and online communities.

Hammam

Streamlining Construction Projects with Bluebeam

Reviewed on 19/04/2023

Pros

Bluebeam is an exceptional software solution that offers a wide range of benefits for construction professionals and project managers. One of its most notable features is the ability to perform takeoffs from PDF files, which can be a time-consuming and labor-intensive task when done manually. Bluebeam makes it easy to perform takeoffs from PDF files, allowing users to accurately calculate the quantities of materials required for a project. This can help to reduce errors and ensure that the project is completed on time and within budget.

Cons

Some users have reported performance issues with Bluebeam, such as slow processing times or crashes. While these issues are not common, they can be frustrating when they do occur.

Jesse
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Best PDF editor I have ever used, Period!

Reviewed on 11/01/2018

The biggest benefit from the software is that it saves me so much time thus allowing me to be more productive and profitable!

Pros

My favorite feature is the ability to set the scale and take measurements of items that are drawn on the PDF sheets. I am an Engineer so this comes in very handy. I also love that I can quickly sketch details to get to my drafter or a contractor who is working on my project. Revu has a tool chest where I can store my most frequently used mark-ups so I dont have to keep redrawing them. This program is super powerful with the ability to insert images, reduce the file size, and create an open session that multiple people can join into and make markups on the same document simultaneously. Lastly, one of the best features are the keyboard hot-keys - just type [L} to draw a line, [C} to draw a cloud, and so on.

Cons

Since there are so many options, it can be daunting to learn at first, but with use and time it becomes more and more intuitive.

Darragh

Essential for anyone in Engineering and construction

Reviewed on 19/01/2024

Excellent

Excellent

Pros

It makes marking up, commenting, and editing drawings extremely easy and quick

Cons

Price, I feel it could be a little cheaper but it's not terrible

Muhammad

a great program to use for review and PDF editing

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

so far its been a great Alternative to Adobe or other programs to edit then share with clients,

we...

we use it to make notes on PDF files do quick takeoffs and send as built plans

Pros

when i first started using this program i realized how much better it is than adobe reader, it lets you edit draw lines, add text even do takeoffs on the same sheets. as well as the ability to stamp all the sheets with one click!

Cons

price, has a learning curve , fezzes with very large PDF files