Authorize.Net

Credit card processing for small & medium business merchants

4.3/5

Kenneth M.
  • Industry: Military

AUTHORIZE FOR NON PROFIT DONATION MANAGEMENT/PROCESSING

Reviewed on 02/11/2018

Customer service and adaptability of the system with our CRM has been very positive for us. When we adopted our new CRM system along with the the hosted website managed by the same CRM system, we were not sure how everything would integrate, but our donation links and sponsorship links that take contributors directly to Authorize for processing have never let us down.

Pros

Authorize integrated flawlessly with our CRM system. It was one of several options for donor management and processing that was compatable with our CRM. We researched each available system and Authorize was both suggested by a fellow non profit as well as seemed to meet our requirements.

Cons

Transaction charges seem to be the biggest issue that we have. There are industry averages for processing various cards, and Authorize is on par with other systems. It is unfortunate that Authorize does not offer a non-profit processing rate or possibly a flat rate that is well below what would be offered to a for profit organization.

Maria B.

EASIEST AND SIMPLE

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Overall very pleasant. Easy for clients to use and for us as the team to use.

Pros

Easy for clients to use and for us as the team to use.

Cons

Have to have a second place to login vs it being integrated into our system. Just preference though.

• Industry: Think Tanks

It's been great for our business

Reviewed on 26/11/2018

Authorize.net has been super simple and straight forward to use. I've been able to cancel a charge that was made in error before it even hit a card. I get full details of who is purchasing and how much. I can look up transactions easily. It's been a great second backup system for us as far as credit card records. It's been very easy to implement on our website and we've been very happy.

Pros

I have loved using Authorize.net. Often I have to go back thru our credit card records to check how much was charged or how much was refunded. It's great to be able to look up via credit card number or names. Customer service has always been excellent whenever I've needed to contact them. I also like that I'm able to run reports of all of our transactions when I'm trying to compartmentalized different amounts and categories. It works well with our registration system.

Cons

I wish that we were able to issue refunds after the 3 month period. I know we can lose some of our security measures to allow our system to automatically refund but we don't want to do that. Instead we take the cc number and manually enter it into a different refund system for those return that are past 3 months. I think the security issue is a mandated issue and there is not much Authorize can do. I do wish the downloads went to a simpler to read excel format but I tend to take the CSV file and do what I need to do to make it work.

Brittany C.

Easy to use and safe!

Reviewed on 02/03/2020

Pros

It was very simple to set up and implement on our clients' sites. We also chose this as our payment portal because it is very safe for the customers' information.

Cons

The only thing I did not like is when they updated their platform we had to make changes to the code ourselves which caused some hiccups on our end, other than that no issues.

Martin B.

Rock Solid!

Reviewed on 11/02/2020

We use it every day - customer support is superior - never had any issues.

Pros

This Gateway works extremely well - you can set up recurring charges. The CC expiration date can be automatically updated.

Cons

I'd like to be able to change the next charge date on a Recurring charge. Or I'd like the ability to only do charges on a weekday...so, if the 1st falls on Sat, I'd like the charge to happen on the 3rd.

Heather M.

Authorize.Net

Reviewed on 10/06/2020

Great experience over all. It has run smoothly for us for years.

Pros

Easy awesome way to have your payments run through your merchant account. We have ours integrated with a billing system and it run's smoothly with virtually zero problems.

Cons

There is not a printable format for the eCheck monthly statement so that makes it cumbersome to enter the fees.

Kelly K.

Authorize.net keeps our customer's information secure!

Reviewed on 09/05/2018

Pros

We use Authorize.net for the credit card processing needs of our small non-profit. Easy for us to invoice customers without needing to secure their credit card information in-house.

Cons

The invoicing feature has a 'due date' field that auto-populates to the date the invoice is sent unless manually adjusted. It then sends a 'past due' message if it's not paid that day. It would be nice to have that automatically date for a month out.

Carlos R.

Authorize.net is one of the easier merchants I've been able to integrate into my eCommerce...

Reviewed on 14/02/2018

Pros

The fact that it is compatible with WordPress makes my life a lot easier. The per transaction fees are very competitive as well.

Cons

Monthly fees are always a con. It would be great to have fees strictly calculated based upon volume of sales.

Melissa W.

Great for a mobile business with multiple service vehicles in the field

Reviewed on 21/07/2017

East of use! Technicians can run credit cards in the field directly from their cell phones! Payments are process quickly!!

Pros

This program is so simple and easy for my technicians to use in the field to get direct payment - and allows us to have minimal accounts receivables!

Cons

Doesn't work when there is not cell phone coverage. We also have to change the passwords quarterly - and the system does not give us any warning on this.

Jessica D.
  • Industry: Wholesale

Use Daily

Reviewed on 16/07/2019

Very please. The company has been using for over 10 years.

Pros

You can charge credit cards safe and securely.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to find charges if you do not have the last 4 of card.

Kristian B.

I use Authorize.Net in my daily job to process credit card transactions.

Reviewed on 17/01/2018

Pros

I like that it is so easy to edit an existing subscription. It is also easy to search any recent transactions.

Cons

I don't like that the "back" button doesn't really work here. Like if I don't search the right thing at first I have to go back to the search screen instead of the results screen. If that makes sense.

Jared D.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Standard Payment Gateway

Reviewed on 10/06/2020

Authorize is fine as a gateway but not one I would recommend above Stripe for accepting payments. I would recommend it over Paypal, but I still tend to suggest most people consider Stripe.

Pros

Authorize.net is a simple gateway allowing you to process credit card payments and ACH transactions. It's integrated with lots of applications out there, which provides a great amount of flexibility.

Cons

The UI is very dated and overall system is a bit antiquated. I'd much rather use Stripe as a gateway. They also charge a gateway access fee, which Stripe doesn't charge.

Curran H.

Useful but complicated

Reviewed on 01/10/2019

The support is readily available and able to walk you through problems, tools and anything else. It is very powerful and you can generally be hands off. It's fraud tools helped us track down someone testing stolen credit cards against our account and block them via IP. The support was also able to wave fee's associated with the fraud from our account.

Pros

The fraud tools are great at identifying fraud. The support is easy to contact and very knowledgeable.

Cons

The menu's are complicated and dense. It can be hard to find the tool you are looking for, especially if you don't use it every day.

Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Authorize.Net

Authorize gave us more control over our data.
Bianca L.

Organized Financing

Reviewed on 01/08/2018

Pros

I use this software minimally but what I manage is charging payments and running reports. It's very easy to find past charges and they make it easy to keep track but providing ID numbers on every transaction.

Cons

I don't use all features on this product but I have not had any problems with the area I manage. Payments and Reporting.

C.j. F.

The service they provide is very valuable but sometimes hard to navigate.

Reviewed on 14/06/2017

Pros

The ability to refund transactions and review fraudulent charges is quite helpful and the ability to see the transactions and get some data is helpful.

Cons

Sometimes finding the location for the action you need to perform is a bit time consuming and cumbersome.

Dayna G.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Nothing to compare it too

Reviewed on 06/03/2020

It works for what I need it for, and is pretty easy to get the info/reports needed.

Pros

It's easy enough, it links up to the donation database we use (which is the main reason I chose it).

Cons

I'm not sure if it's coincidental or not, but a few people's cards got fraudulent notifications just after making a donation through the site.

• Industry: Defense & Space

Great payment processing software

Reviewed on 19/04/2018

Pros

This is a great payment processing software. It's very easy to take customer payments or even refund them when needed.

Cons

The reporting functions could be a little bit more user friendly and have more options for getting information.

Alexandria C.

A Very Standard Payment Management Systems

Reviewed on 08/12/2016

Authorize.net is one of the most commonly used payment management systems. We were able to sync the account with the payment cart of our education registration software, ABC Signup, which was good. It's easy to process payments in this platform and easy to search by date for transactions that need to be researched.

David C.

Great Merchant Service

Reviewed on 22/11/2016

We've used Authorize.net for about 1 year now and have been impressed. It is compatible with just about everything which is very helpful. I just wish that there was a little more internal customization options with the native shopping cart. It gets the job done and well. Customer service is always very helpful.

Good, but costly.

Reviewed on 14/02/2018

Pros

I have used Authorize.net for credit card transactions at several businesses. It has always been reliable and easy to manage. I've always felt it was quite safe and secure.

Cons

The per transaction charge is high in comparison to other competitors (for merchant accounts). Whenever we did have issues, the customer service was a bit lacking.

Vince K.

Does what it needs to, but is a bit more expensive than we anticipated

Reviewed on 24/01/2017

Authorize.net was referred to us by our bank, so we went with them. On paper the fees and rates seemed reasonable. Once we started using it, the fees mounted and they routinely add new ones. I spoke with customer service and they say that our agreement allows them to add and/or change fees without any recourse. We haven't been thrilled, but we have 1 year left on our contract. Read the fine print. Watch out for annual fees, etc. There are lots of options out there and we would choose differently if we knew then what we know now.

Arthur J.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

Keyana K.

Gets the job done with hardly any issues ever.

Reviewed on 25/04/2018

Pros

Authorize.net is our payment gateway, as we are a company that runs several credit card transactions daily. The fees are minimal, the customer service has always been great (even if, at times, the reasons I had to call we're not so great), and the website is about the simplest one I've ever used, considering all of the information it processes. We don't use any POS devices, just the website, but that's still MORE than enough for us.

Cons

I wish it was easier to edit ARB subscriptions; for example, if I want to simply change the date that a customer's auto-charge runs, I have to actually delete the whole thing, and create a new one to reflect the date change. That's pretty annoying, but for a website that hasn't really changed much in the 12 years since I first began using it, I can only expect so much at this point.

Joe K.

A Bit Dated, But Functional

Reviewed on 19/08/2021

Overall, positive experience. Had one day where the servers went down and were unable to take payment for a couple hours. Other than that, zero outages or complaints.

Pros

We've had very little problems with fraudulent payment attempts. Security settings are quite customizable and ease of setup is good.

Cons

The interface is a little outdated. Other processors like Square and Stripe feel more sleek and modern, more navigable.

Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Authorize.Net

Ease of setup with our software and employees familiarity of Authorize.
Josh B.

Slow Payments, Convoluted Explanations for Account Use

Reviewed on 19/11/2021

Overall, Authorize.net has some benefits like customer trust and fraud prevention and if you are good at code, it might be great for you. Otherwise it seems a little outdated and complicated to set up and use beyond their automated features.

Pros

I do like that Authorize.net is pretty widespread in its use, and that I feel I can implement it in a variety of mediums including SuiteDash CRM and Payments, my website, etc. It is rather versatile in that sense and allows for customization or more simplicity if needed.

Cons

If you are doing anything beyond setting up Authorize.net with them directly and having them manage your processor, it is really difficult to figure out what to do and what you need. Customer service is great, but I prefer to just get things done on my own without multiple phone calls to set things up. Payments come slowly and it just overall feels really outdated for me.

Venmo

Reasons for Choosing Authorize.Net

Square continued freezing my account for no reason and it was incredibly frustrating.

Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Authorize.Net

I actually use both now, and generally prefer Venmo, but it depends on the circumstance and platform I am using.