7shifts

4.7 (1,135)
Simplifying team management, one shift at a time.

(1,135)
4.6/5
4.6/5
4.7/5
4.7/5

Sara Jane
Sara Jane
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Has all the tools you could need

Reviewed on 01/05/2019

I get updates/push notifications from 7 shifts every week when my schedule is published, as well as updates from my managers and corporate offices. I also sometimes use it to make work life easier. Really glad to have this piece of software I thought I'd never use. Very good for the restaurant industry and hourly positions.

Pros

It's a really nice layout, it has thought of just about everything you could possibly need to use the software for. I have personally found it very useful for looking up the contact information of my coworkers and keeping track of request off time. For people like servers who constantly drop/add/trade shifts with other people, there is a useful feature to do that as well.

Cons

It logged me out when I changed phones, don't think that's necessary to protect information on this kind of app, but was easy to recover password. Overall a very minor con.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Sara! We're happy to hear that 7shifts has everything you need to make your work life easier. We really appreciate your detailed feedback and if there is every anything we can improve upon in the future, please just reach out to our team any time. Cheers!

Chris

Stacked and Folded Social House Review of 7Shifts

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Overall it is a solid product, very happy with it!! I feel it blows Hot Schedules out of the water!!

Pros

Ease of use, lay out, certain reports. Ease for staff to communicate and input their availability and time off requests. It is user friendly on the front end.

Cons

Better labor forecasting, actual v forecasted, Day part labor separation ( lunch v dinner) and real-time labor v forecasted v last week ( or last quarter or last year). Being able to break down the sales by day part along with labor would be fantastic. Also the "optimal labor" tool is pretty weak and the graph used is not helpful.
Tip pooling or tip reporting enhancements. I have three cashiers on, having them the program able to split up the group tips by hours worked on that shift.

ADP Workforce Now, When I Work and HotSchedules

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

I liked the way it looked, the ease of learning it and the great support staff when we first started!!! Their patience and understanding was just awesome!!!

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Chris!

• Used for 1+ year

7Shifts and More?

Reviewed on 06/11/2019

The team loved 7shifts since it was so user friendly and easy to access from PC or mobile. Unfortunately, forecasting is obviously a big issue when it comes to scheduling so we moved on.

Pros

I liked the messaging platform it had for teams. I enjoyed the ease of seeing team member roles. I liked the ease of seeing the daily line up of teams in different departments. I enjoyed being able to flag attendance within the app and reports generated from that.

Cons

I did not like third party app integrations that users would be automatically opted into. Forecasting was a bit clunky also unfortunately.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

We didnt. We went with HotSchedules.

Response from 7shifts

Hi there, thanks for the review. We appreciate your feedback and really appreciate you sharing with us what you liked, and what you did not like about 7shifts.

In regards to sales/labor forecasting, this is something we are always looking to improve so we appreciate your candor. We strive to provide all of our customers with at least 95% accuracy in forecasting, so if this was something we have not lived up to we want to make it right and work with you to improve your experience. Please reach out to our team any time and we would be happy to help!

On that note, we just released our new Optimal Labor tool which provides hourly sales forecasts which are even more intuitive and transparent. The goal here is to provide managers and operators a visual representation of their labor needs to help them more easily hit their targets with solid forecasts: https://support.7shifts.com/article/310-optimal-labor-tool

Stephanie
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Exactly what we were looking for

Reviewed on 21/06/2021

Support is phenomenal, and I find the program very user friendly. It was exactly what we were looking for.

Pros

It was critical for us to find software that would track each employee's unique schedule availability and limitations, and allow each other to automatically see the shift pool. It has reduced headaches and made team communications about the schedule virtually seamless.

Cons

We are missing the ability to see which manager makes what changes to already published schedules - it would be nice to have a "versions" page to see who made what switches. We would also like a bit more robust availability planning capability. Some of our staff can only work seasonally, others who work every other weekend - it would be nice to be able to set this up.

When I Work and WhenToWork

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

7Shifts offered so many features in the premium level, for about $10 more than what we were paying with our previous software. It also really mattered that 7Shifts doesn't charge per employee. We have room to grow without exponentially increasing related expenses.

Response from 7shifts

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed review Stephanie! I sent this to a few members of our team and all of them were blown away by your feedback. We really appreciate it.

To your feedback regarding which managers make changes to the schedule, you have the ability to see some of this in the Audit Log which you have access to in your account. You can learn more about it here: https://support.7shifts.com/article/256-activity-log

However, we our team agrees that this probably won't satisfy exactly what you are looking for, so we add added it to our development backlog to consider.

Thanks again for your feedback and congratulations on all the success you are having with 7shifts!

Brian

7Shifts review

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Very positive. The software is intuitive and easy to teach others. Plenty of functionality

Pros

Ability to easily upload a new employee, set their parameters, and schedule them. Ability to message and communicate with staff easily. Ability to create labor projections and review vs actual.

Cons

Inability to stack and sort employee shifts on a given day.

Relative cost of 7shifts. Great demo and easy of implementing

See above
Sarah

Longtime user

Reviewed on 03/11/2020

Absolutely great! If you have any issues they help you out right away. Plus they are always evolving and take their customers suggestions and implement them.

Pros

Very easy to use. Lots of integration options and they are continually adding more. Easy for staff to use!

Cons

Not everything you need to do is on the mobile app or sometimes hard to find.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

7shifts was very easy to use and they got back to me very quickly with any questions. They features they offered also interested us and it looked ( and is) very easy to use.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the kind words Sarah! We are humbled by your feedback, and happy to hear you have found a lot of value in our platform once you made the switch from Hot Schedules. Keep an eye out for even more great functionality being added soon.

Also, I'm going to have a member of our mobile team reach out to you in order to hear about your ideas for improving our mobile apps to better suit you.

Andreina
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Potential

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

So Far it has worked for our company, hopefully we can further develop our usage.

Pros

The software has a lot of potentials to be great, the best part of it is the integration with POS so we can have real-time data.

Cons

There are sections like time-sheets that are unnecessarily hard and not user-friendly.

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

The software was very user-friendly but the app itself keeps crashing or lagging delaying our process when doing scheduling and payroll.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Did not like the Fourth interface.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Andreina! As you mentioned, we look forward to showing you the full potential of how 7shifts can help your restaurant. As such, your dedicated success manager to see how they can help you out :)

Shannon
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great product, and the price is so affordable

Reviewed on 10/02/2023

The best piece to me was taking scheduling, time off requests, availability, and budgeting and putting them into a single piece of software.

Pros

I loved getting to a digital schedule that I could easily push notifcations to my employees. It really streamlined the schedule process for my business and allowed me to simplify several processes into one.

Cons

I was very happy with the software, however the only thing that made me switch was to get as many things under a single software suite as possible. We now use square for POS, scheduling, time tracking, payroll management, etc.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

I already have excel and used it prior, but I needed something that was much more advanced.
Jeremy
  • Industry: Restaurants

Better than other scheduling apps

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Pros

Setting up availabilities and scheduling is very easy and helpful.

Cons

Sometimes there'll be a notification even though the notification has already been resolved.

Slack

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

Homebase was not as functional and user-friendly as 7shifts appears to be.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Cheaper, user-friendly and does a lot of the tasks I wanted to be done.
Denise

Great Resource for Restaurant Mangement

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Overall 7shifts has really productively impacted our day to day. Reservation booking, management notes, scheduling have all been digitized and made accessible anywhere we are. This allows for us to work on things and make educated decisions even when we are off property.

Pros

The best features of this program is all around communication. That includes communication from ownership on down. Everyone always has quick access to the notes and day to day. Management log and scheduling were the biggest attractions for us.

Cons

The biggest con for me so far is the permissions. We can only designate one Administrator and we cannot customize all permissions down quite as much as we need or would like. Sometimes we are stuck with "all or nothing" permissions decisions for some staff members.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

The toast integration option, pricing, trial period, and overall product availability that we were looking for.

Response from 7shifts

Thank you for the great, detailed review Denise!

Joshua
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great system and developing nicely

Reviewed on 12/11/2020

Customer service as always been a pleasure. Not a big fan of continual prompts every time I log in for feedback or sales pitches but overall a real solid system.

Pros

During the time that we have used this software, there have been wonderful developments and rollouts that nicely enhance our operation. Keep up the good work!

Cons

It was very basic to begin with. Coming along nicely and will likely be the best product if they keep it up.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Joshua. You can rest assured that we will always be working to improve 7shifts and ensure that it's the best solution for restaurateurs like you.

Stephen
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great Scheduling Application for an Entertainment Complex!!

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Pros

Very simple integration into the overall day to day operation of the company. Easy to setup new hires and have continued communication as they are on boarded. Simple communication with the entire complex and all staff about changes and important information. Overall a great application that does actually what is says.

Cons

I think some of the available options to the staff are a bit too much. Such as everyone's email and phone number and the freedom to use that as they wish can be a bit of a headache.

TimeCamp and Timely

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Price and overall appearance of the application seemed to be top notch.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Stephen! Expect some really good onboarding improvements coming very soon that are going to make your life even easier.

Ally
  • Industry: Hospitality

Great Value and Customer Service for the price!

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Customer Service has always been great, They have promptly answered questions and even make changes to my account. They also send lots of how to's and what has changed messages and emails, which are very helpful.

Pros

I like the ability to schedule, edit and communicate on the go!

Cons

Sometimes there are glitches with the app, such as....a staff member being scheduled once, but appears twice on the schedule for the same day.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

7-shifts is simple, straight forward and easy for anyone to use.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Ally! We love hearing that our customer service team has provided you with a terrific experience.

Quinn
  • Industry: Food Production

Great software! Made scheduling a breeze!

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Vacation and time off requests are much easier to manage with this software, no more nightmares of managing e-mails and paper requests.

Pros

The ease of use for employees and management. Super easy to switch shifts and see vacation requests on the calendar.

Cons

I would love to be able for it to remember common shift times for employees, the feature doesn't seem to be accurate.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

The integration with square was the key factor for us.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Quinn! We love hearing that 7shifts has been beneficial for your restaurant when pared with your Square POS.

Ann

Literally changed my life

Reviewed on 04/11/2019

7 Shifts helped reduce the stress on mangers who do the scheduling. Literally I would not make it out of the parking lot and I would start getting messages from staff about trading shifts , wanting time off etc. They can do most of this on the app. I do not have to carry a paper schedule with me everywhere I go. I do not have 3 or 4 copies of the schedule and all saying different things as they have not all been updated. It is all on my phone . I do not know if i can change the schedule from my phone . If you can I do not know how. Sometimes there are changes when I am out of the office that we cannot do on the app. I do take notes on this and update the schedule when I get to my computer. Not a big deal

Pros

How easy it is to use. It solved many of our scheduling issues.
Staff resolve many of the trades etc among themselves. The schedule is always up to-date. The schedule is always available on my phone. I can approve changes etc when I am not on site and the schedule is updated and everyone knows what is going on.

Cons

Sometimes the updates have caused some glitches. They are quickly resolved once 7 shifts is made aware. Because we are not a restaurant some of the features on it we do not need and show up all the time. It would be nice if there was a version without earnings profits etc. as we do not need all of that. We are a residential housing program for persons with disabilities and other then that it works really well for us.
the staff really like the freedom they have as well with the app.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Ann. We love hearing that 7shifts has changed your life for the better and alleviated many of the scheduling headaches that you used to experience. Cheers!

Tory
  • Industry: Restaurants

Lots of Bang for the Buck!

Reviewed on 21/04/2017

7Shifts has been a tremendous timesaver! We used to spend so much time transferring requests to our paper scheduling forms. Now we can just work directly in the app. Saves paper too! Our staff is incredibly happy we've made this technological leap. Takes some stress out of their already busy lives by being able to switch shifts online. It has also alleviated the issue of "misreading" their schedule. As managers, we love that we no longer have to hear that excuse. Ha ha! Managing overtime is incredibly easier on 7Shifts. Prior to the app, we relied on floor managers to make judgement calls regarding shift exchanges when senior managers weren't available. Labor considerations didn't get factored into decisions and we would run higher labor numbers. Now that fewer managers are part of the shift exchange decisions, we know that the appropriate factors are being implemented into the decision making. The floor managers appreciate not having the pressure of making a decision that could negatively impact a shift. Posting and editing schedules in real time also alleviates issues. We would have people switch shifts and then forget. Now it goes immediately into their schedule once approved. Confusion alleviated!!! We don't use the auto-fill option but find that manually scheduling is so much more efficient in the app than it was on paper. I also love that you accept requests for features/functions and compile them for consideration. The service has always been wonderfully friendly and fast. The tutorials are really helpful and well done. I can't say enough good things. Thank you for creating such a user friendly app. Makes our busy restaurant lives so much easier!

Great tutorials
Fast and friendly support staff
Efficiency for reviewing labor
Incredibly communication tool between staff and management
Consider suggestions for functions and features and notify you if they become implemented
Fair price for the power of the product

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the great, in-depth review Tory. We're happy to hear that 7shifts is helping alleviate the classic "misreading the schedule" problem for Beaver Street Brewery. Cheers!

Rowan

Game-changing modernization

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Overall, we have had a very good experience since making the switch over to 7shifts and would certainly recommend it to other restaurants - especially those with a large staff.

Pros

7shifts makes it easy to communicate with the entire staff, individually or as a group. It even allows us to easily send messages to specific roles or groups within roles, such as "bartenders scheduled today" or "servers not scheduled today." It also makes it easy for staff to communicate with management and each other, and has also made the process of shift swapping/coverage easier for staff and management. Managers love that we can see all bids for a shift, and that no swap or coverage goes unapproved (which often happened in the past when we were still using a paper system for switches). It's also great when we need to add staff for a particular shift, as we can simply post an open shift for anyone in a particular role.

Cons

I wish you could access the original version of a posted schedule (before swaps/pick-ups, etc) and see quickly who picked up a shift vs. who was originally scheduled, rather than having to go back through the activity log. Additionally, apart from the dashboard view - which is fantastic and super convenient for planning each day - the layout of the iPad app isn't great, and when there are major changes/updates to the product, it can be tricky to get used to. When there are glitches (which is pretty rare), it can be disruptive to our process of planning each shift. These aren't things you have to deal with when using a paper system, however they are minor issues in comparison to the many benefits of switching to 7shifts.

7shifts A Networking Dream

Reviewed on 05/11/2020

Overall, 7shifts is quite easy to work with, I've only experienced some minor inconveniences with it. Otherwise, it is significantly more streamlined compared to software that my close friends have shown me that their workplaces implement.

Pros

As a worker, I've found 7shifts fairly easy to work with. It easily allows me to see my upcoming shifts and if necessary offer them up for others to take. I have not personally used other software, but my friends have told me that they are either unable to trade shifts easily or at all! The messaging features are also quite adequate as they are simple to understand and use. They make it a breeze to contact my coworkers or employer if necessary. Finally, I believe it is a fairly recent development, but 7shifts has a logbook feature that allows for commentary about that day of work. The logbook is exceptional at sharing information with my employer and coworkers, and helps us maintain inventory and smooth daily operations.

Cons

Its recording of my expected pay is not always 100% accurate although that's probably due to taxes. However it might be nice to implement a feature that determines what you'll make after tax. Additonally, I've had some issues trying to input my availability, where the dates will switch before I post my availability. This isn't a deal breaker but just a bit annoying to switch them back.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review! We love getting the feedback of employees that use 7shifts and we are over the moon to see the value you are getting out of the platform. Nice work!

Andrew
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Amazing for scheduling and time clock!

Reviewed on 03/11/2020

7shifts has been a really positive experience.

7shifts has been a really positive experience.

Pros

We have used 7shifts since we started our company. We wanted something that could be easy for everyone to use, and we've seen a ton of efficiency improvements over the years! It has been really easy to have different managers run the schedule with ease, and the analytics are helpful for running payroll as well. Would definitely reccomend 7shifts and 7punches as a combination tool.

Cons

No cons to mention! The improvements over the last few years have really made 7shifts and outstanding product.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Ease of use and easy to setup.

Response from 7shifts

Amazing! Thank you for such a great review Andrew. We really love hearing from restaurants that chose 7shifts when they started their business and the impact it has had over the years. Thanks for the kind words and we look forward to serving you for years to come

arpita

Excellent scheduling software!

Reviewed on 18/08/2018

I used to make schedules through Excel, and would have employees email time off requests and availability changes. This software makes everything so much easier. It is so easy to use - copy schedules from week to week, move around shifts, copy shifts, etc. This app made me like making the schedule!

It's also employee-friendly - they can give up and pick up shifts, and manager can approve them. They can communicate with each other through chat. Phone numbers and emails are available, so employees can easily contact each other.

Pros

No glitches ever (previous app we used glitched and made errors to employees' schedules)
Budgeting tool
Ability to put in events
Color coding departments and jobs
Ability to print PDF schedule
Communication (chat and message options)
Employees can trade shifts
Availability and time off request features are perfect
Multiple locations allows you to use employees at different sites, but you can see in lighter color where they are already scheduled to work
Great value for the price
They keep making it better and will let you know when an update has been made

Cons

There's a minimal international fee charged monthly for 7Shifts. But that's all!

Response from 7shifts

Wow, wow, wow. Thanks for the kind words Arpita. We love hearing that you and your team are using every feature available in 7shifts to help Reggae Shack Cafe make scheduling less of a chore. Rock on!

GINGER
  • Industry: Restaurants

works well for what it does do.

Reviewed on 12/11/2020

It works well for what it does, but a few small things would make a big difference.

Pros

It is pretty easy to use. I like that it has staff ph.#'s and you can call or text through app without having to create a contact in personal account. as long as a staff member is in our employ, we have the important info in an easy to find format. It is easy to request time off and switch shifts through the app as well.

Cons

If someone wants to trade shifts, we have to scroll through all their shifts to see if they are going to go into overtime. It does give you a general hour count, but it is hardly ever accurate as sometimes staff get sent home early, and of course the app wouldn't know that. For me it would be great if you could tap someones name and it would show all their shifts in one place, and you wouldn't have to check every day to know whether or not to approve a change, like you wouldn't want to approve a 3rd double shift in a row, but without double checking every day, you don't know exactly what shifts a staff member has or will work.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the great, detailed review Ginger! We really appreciate your feedback and I've passed this along to our development team.

Becca

Events and 7shifts

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

It has been way better that hot schedules and I am happy thus far especially with the customer service !

Pros

I like that I can use it on my phone or computer!

Cons

Sometimes the publishing gets confusing and I can’t find workers when I need them

Toast POS

More user friendly

We got both

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the kind words Becca!

Elizabeth

Daily recaps made easy

Reviewed on 02/09/2019

Pros

With 7 shifts you not only have an easy, intuitive scheduling app that everyone can use at every level, but you also have a customizable manager log book to record the goings ons of events each day, along with POS integration!!! It's everything you need on one page. My schedule writing days are over but I still use the app to get daily recaps from all of my restaurants on the flow of service, 86'd items, sales, and employee progress. With the Manager Log book you can customize each section, add as many areas or as few as you want. We have a complete section for R&M, and another for 86'd items. Use the search function to manage and track all of those areas. Or Search an employees name for an easy way to find feedback for quarterly evalutions.

Cons

The weather on the manager log book can be a little jankey sometimes. And the Toast POS integration took a little while to set up and the labor % aren't always correct, but otherwise it's great.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks so much for the kind words Elizabeth! We are thrilled to hear that you are your team are finding so much value in the manager log book for your business. We can't wait to show you all the great enhancement with Engage that we will be releasing over the coming months, and look forward to your feedback. Cheers!

Shannon
  • Industry: Restaurants

Excellent tool that goes far beyond scheduling.

Reviewed on 30/10/2018

7shifts ties together many organizational tools that has improved communication in our restaurant immensely. We make fewer scheduling errors, our staff can easily contact managers and coworkers through the messaging feature, amendments to the schedule keep everyone in the loop with notifications and the manager log book helps us stay on top of issues and address them quickly and effectively.

I originally decided to try the software because I thought it would save time and keep our BOH and FOH schedules cohesive. It pays for the time it saves and adds much more value with all of the additional features. Don’t hesitate to give it a try!

Pros

Our supervisors use the manager logbook and it has been extremely helpful in keeping everyone up to speed on daily operations, issues and ideas. We act much quicker when addressing problems with staff and maintenance, and reduce the distortion of facts when compared to transferring information along a chain of conversations. This is a valuable feature not to be overlooked.

Cons

Some of our staff members have been experiencing freezing and glitching in the app. Some staff are resistant to change and there was a lengthy transition time to get everyone on board. Now that it’s in place almost every new employee loves the interface and is eager to sign up.

Response from 7shifts

Amazing! Thanks so much for the fantastic, detailed review Shannon. We're thrilled to hear that 7shifts is providing your team with so much value. We looking forward to making 7shifts even more indispensable in the future :)

Jasmine
  • Industry: Entertainment

Very Easy to Use and Integrate

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Overall 7Shifts has helped us keep down labor costs, communicate with ease, schedule based on business needs, and streamline our payroll. I can't say enough about it and I rave about it to all my friends in every industry.

Pros

I personally love this scheduling software over the others I've used in the past. The mobile access gives our employees control of their own schedules and ease of seeing where they need to be. The scheduler is so easy to use and even easier if you set up templates. Tracking labor costs vs our sales has helped in so many ways to keep our costs down. The logbook has become one of the most used features among our managers. And the timesheets being able to integrate with our payroll software has made payday just a few clicks away.

Cons

It really is the easiest software. Almost dummy-proof. There's not much bad I can even say about it. I've used quite a few of the competitors. This one is far superior.

Response from 7shifts

Wow, thanks for the kind words Jasmine. That means an awful lot to our team!