LastPass

4.3/5

2143 Software options

Brian H.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Secure your online presence with LastPass

Reviewed on 29/06/2019

What is LastPass?
The simple answer is LastPass saves your passwords to the cloud, secured by your individual login user ID and a Master Password. Setting it up is painless, merely follow the prompts at LastPass.com and you will quickly be on your way. Make sure you follow the instructions for adding LastPass to your favorite browser, and add it to the browser you use on every computer you use. When you get the extension added, click on it and log yourself in, and voila you have access to your saved passwords vault in the cloud. Now, every time you go to a site you use, the first time you visit and login, it will recognize the user ID and password you used, and ask you if you want to save it to your vault. Change your password? No problem! Upon successfull login, LastPass will catch that you have entered a new password and ask you if you want to update your saved password. As the user ID and password is saved to your own private vault in the cloud, you now have that password to access the site again, from anywhere, meaning you don't have to remember it anymore or worse, write it down. Very useful for sites that require frequent password changes and sites that have odd password requirement. Removes the burden of micromanaging staff password choices by your IT department - they will thank you! Multiple logins for a site is supported, it includes a robust, easy to use form fill feature, and it offers to generate on its own super-secure passwords for use as well.

Pros

Available everywhere, LastPass is offered as standalone desktop software, and much more importantly, as a browser extension. Even iOS and Android have LastPass available as an app, with Android offering integration throughout most apps on your mobile device.

Cons

For personal use, I shy away from subscription-based software. I'd rather pay once and get to use it. Luckily LastPass for personal use can be used for free. For a business, the subscription however pays for itself in terms of productivity gains and reducing headaches and trouble tickets for your IT staff.

LogMeIn Central and RoboForm

Price

Reasons for Switching to LastPass

All of these have similar offerings, but LastPass extensions are available more widely and are usually the first ones to get offered on new browsers/platforms.

Best Password/Data Keeper for the money

Reviewed on 06/04/2021

Very positive, makes my personal and work life much simpler. Especially on my Iphone which I work from daily.

Pros

Used the free version for YEARS. Just went Pro and immediately thought why did I wait so long. I use it on my Iphone, Ipad and tablet. Oh and Yeah I love the chrome extension

Cons

The only real con is I waited to buy the pro version but that's on me not them. I should have done it much sooner but they made it easy to stay on the free plan.

Dashlane for Business and Bitwarden

Reasons for Choosing LastPass

Roboform was clunky back then, and didn't seem safe. Then there was a breech and I got out of there.

RoboForm

Familiarity and longevity
Luccas B.
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Best in the game

Reviewed on 16/10/2021

I started using it to keep track of so many different accounts and it’s passwords and after getting used to actually using the software, I just started to understand how important it is to have unique passwords. So that’s a huge benefit.

Pros

The synchronization feature, the way it works with the browser, very easy to use and very safe.

Cons

The safe design, it’s quite confusing to copy passwords or login information if you’re on the browser.

1Password

Reasons for Choosing LastPass

Because it was confusing and not really a space easy enough to organize all the login information I need for my company.

iCloud

Reasons for Switching to LastPass

Because at the time they had free synchronization, but after they started charging I just had to keep using it, since I really liked it and had already introduced to colleagues and family.
Kenny K.

Reliable password management. LastPass is on top of things.

Reviewed on 23/07/2021

I have a very positive experience. Using the tool for the first time was very intuitive, I didn't need any tutorials or help pages. I also never ran into technical issues and the LastPass team informs you of important changes and news from the 'online security' world. Very good customer service, I love how professional and customer-centered LastPass is.

Pros

What I like most about LastPass is how easy it is to quickly create secure passwords and manage them with a few clicks. The auto-saving of passwords is a nice feature as well, saving you a lot of time. I know LastPass uses the highest password encryption and security standards, that's why I rely on this tool. I've had too many issues in the past because I used bad passwords. With LastPass I know I'm using the right kind of passwords and I don't even need to remember them.

Cons

LastPass allows you to access the tool on one device as a free member. Since I use desktop more than mobile, I activated in on desktop. It would however be nice to be able to use LastPass (as free user) on both without having to choose. I understand it's part of the 'upgrade to get more' business model, but I'd love to see this.

Jeff M.
  • Industry: Human Resources

LastPass -a Secure Password Manager for Team Collaboration

Reviewed on 23/09/2020

Very positive as we need an easy to access, but secure, way to share passwords & credentials among work teams and clients. Our 50+ employee agency has used LastPass for 2+ years and we have never wavered on it's value.

Pros

We have a team of 50+ at our agency and LastPass is our go-to password/credential manager. It's super simple to set up, share access and manage passwords across teams and even clients. And LastPass takes security very very seriously with 2FA and authentication a key priority. We have to be ultra-sensitive to security as an agency as we handle so many credentials for client's websites, FTP and marketing tools.

Cons

The UI is good but not great. I find myself wanting to create a folder but the iconography is a bit confusing so I'll create a record. Easy to go back and do it right but I find myself making the same mistakes. The folder hierarchy could also be a bit better organized but it's not too bad. They are improving and updating all the time.

1Password

Reasons for Switching to LastPass

LastPass simply seemed like it had it all: security, UI, organization, sharing options. The others seemed very similar but we were more comfortable with LastPass's reputation and staying ability.

I cannot recommend LastPass enough - it has revolutionised my life

Reviewed on 21/01/2019

I honestly don't think I could survive now without LastPass. I have experienced no major issues, support are very quick to respond and the assistance provided is extremely accurate.

Pros

LastPass security is extremely high as you would expect off a company that provides a secure password service.
Before I used LastPass I maintained an encrypted excel document with my various passwords, some hadn't been changed for years and lacked complexity. When they were all entered into LastPass it it automatically scored them, suggested which ones needed changing, and best of all, generated secure string passwords of 48 characters, random upper & lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. All of my accounts now have extremely long secure passwords that I do not need to remember as I just have to remember my pass phrase that logs me into LastPass and they do the rest for me.
From an administrators point of view LastPass Enterprise allows the sharing of admin passwords, access of which can be restricted by Access Control Lists. This has greatly improved the reliability of admin passwords that we store.
Finally searching for the passwords is extremely easy - on web pages it automatically triggers if the URL has been set up, and when manually searching simply type the name of the program/account and it will filter the list.

Cons

The only issue I have had with LastPass is that the browser extension, when first installed, does not have a time out function. This needs to be manually set. As such inexperienced users may well end up leaving their passwords very insecure.
My suggestion would be to include a "set up" introduction where the default option of a 5 minute inactivity logout could be modified to however the user desires it. This would ideally need to be done before the browser extension becomes fully live.

Carla C.

Great Password Manager

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

I have been using this software for several year. It manages my passwords and it will also manage credit card information, bank account information and other types of information you want to keep secure but at your finger tips.

Pros

Ease of use and user interface.

Cons

Exporting of saved password

Keeper Business and Dashlane for Business

Reasons for Choosing LastPass

Just wanted a more user friendly information/password manager.

RoboForm

Reasons for Switching to LastPass

I just liked the way it worked .
Rob C.

One of the unsung heroes of my app list

Reviewed on 29/05/2019

As someone who uses a ton of web apps for my work, as well as logs in to dozens of websites for media consumption, shopping, and all the rest of online life, LastPass is critical to helping me stay safe and sane at the same time. I know maybe two of the passwords LastPass has saved for me, with LastPass remembering the rest. My accounts are much safer for using this app, and my life is also easier. There's no downside here.

Pros

From a security standpoint, LastPass changed the game for me. Where once I was the kind of person who alternated between a couple variations on the same password for everything, now every new signup I complete has a secure password that I'll never remember and will never need to remember. LastPass remembers for me. The sharing features are great, making it a cinch to get whatever passwords I need to whichever users need to use them, and the whole process is just so easy. LastPass autofills my passwords in the browser and on my mobile device. I just about never need to think about passwords or logins anymore. I suspect the time savings this offers, while modest on a per instance basis, add up to something significant over time.

Cons

LastPass is just a little inconsistent and finicky. Sometimes the sharing feature doesn't work very well, so you'll need to wait a while before the other party can log in. Sometimes the autocomplete feature won't work because the Chrome extension is trying to display some sort of message. Minor annoyances only, but annoyances all the same.

Abdul waudud C.
  • Used for 2+ years

LastPass is a Life Changer for Me, I Love It

Reviewed on 24/08/2020

I will continue using Lastpass happily ever after.

Pros

As a developer, i need to access many sites or apps regularly. And for all these sites I need a username and password. And like everyone, I forgot my username and password quite often. So, before start using LastPass I used to have an excel file to store all my usernames and password, which was not very user friendly and error-prone. And on an occasion, one of my clients shares website access via LastPass and I start using LastPass. I was fascinated by the usefulness of the features of LastPass. I just need to remember the LastPass master password and LastPass take care of the rest. It can remember your password, organize your passwords, generate a strong password, auto-fill contact form, strong authentication, share access without revealing the actual password, even it can auto-fill your payment details. It can be used as an online application, browser extension, mobile apps, and seamlessly run all your devices like PC, Laptop, Pad and mobile.

Cons

It's a little difficult to access LastPass manger if you try to access it from a new location and even if you have the right authentication. I know its for security purposes but in important moments it's annoying.

Declan D.

LastPass Enterprise is required for many of my network because it really works

Reviewed on 17/09/2018

Excellent, it keeps my passwords safe and organized, and allows me to work with people without giving them the password "keys to the kingdom", so I retain control but can still work with people where ever they live. For a larger company to a small business with outsourcers, this is a must have tool.

Pros

Last Pass solves the password problem with security that is hard to match in my experience. Virtually every experienced business I work with uses this, because security issues in the past few years have made the old ways of keeping passwords - within your browser - a bit more dangerous than before. By using LastPass i can give access to my virtual and remote employees to any of a number of tools and they never get the password, and I can revoke access. Instead of fumbling around for a way to keep passwords, we back this up and in case of emergency, have an extra layer of security and know our passwords are safe.

Cons

The Chrome extension is what I like least, since I use Chrome alot and it crashes frequently. LastPass takes more and more memory, which isn't a negative (and more a sign I'll need to upgrade my computer once again), so the browser crashing is here and there, not an always on problem. Sometimes when I have multiple users share their logins to the same tool, like Mailchimp, LastPass will get in a bit of a battle of which password and user wins, but that's more a specific agency problem than one the average user would face.

Solid cloud based, collaborator friendly password vault

Reviewed on 11/07/2018

Saves me time and gives me the feeling my passwords are strong and securedly stored.

Pros

I've been using LastPass since 2010 I believe, both for business and personal use. There's a lot of positives, like the organizing features, password strength checks, random password generation, automatic password changing (when supported by the website), a plethora of 2FA options and of course, excellent browser integration.

I'm also using LastPass together with some colleagues, both in IT and outside of that, in other departments.

I have linked my personal, free LastPass account to my business one, so I don't have to switch accounts, with the logging out and in hassle.

LastPass also offers mobile apps, secure notes and form fill templates. It's all pretty nifty. As a business user, support is fast and quite good.

Cons

The mobile Android app can be a bit buggy. Even the Chrome addon sometimes has issues, for example with registering the correct username or e-mail address entered while registering somewhere, or small bugs, mostly UI related. It's not 100% solid, but, say, 90%. User-friendlyness can also be improved for less tech savvy users. Many colleagues of me find LastPass difficult. It's not entirely due to LastPass actually being difficult or not user friendly, but I think they can do just a little more in the UI department to make things easier to grasp.

Davidq H.

Best password management tool out there.

Reviewed on 14/11/2017

Pros

Lastpass makes it easy to save and remember passwords. This allows you to create and save logins with complex passwords keeping your data safe. Furthermore, you can save other things in your LastPass vault such as credit card info, secure notes, etc.

Lastpass also keeps up to date by providing a variety of addional security options such as OTP authentication, multifactor authentication via your phone, master password re-prompt option, etc. Personally, I use the OTP option with my Yubikey. With that option, LastPass will exit each time I close my browser and when I re-open the browser it prompts me to push the button on my Yubikey and logs back in. If the OTP fails, LastPass immediately goes back to requiring both the master password and the OTP code making it very secure.

The app is also incredible. I use it to autofill logins in other apps and it saves me slews of time each day.

Cons

When sharing login credentials with another user, there is an option to let them view or not view the password. This is a bit misleading as, if you choose to NOT let them view the password, they can still see it in plain text by using inspect element on any browser and changing the password field from password to text. It is really, really easy to do. But, as long as you are aware of that, it's fantastic!

Jordan D.

One of the Top Password Managers for Your Money

Reviewed on 04/08/2019

The experience was great, minus the little hiccups in the software (duplicated secure notes, some duplicated passwords, etc).

Pros

Before suggesting the enterprise version to my agency, I used LP as my main password vault. It was free and very simple to use. I decided to subscribe to the paid version, and I had some of the best customer service, but some of the premium features fell below my expectations (more below).

Cons

The free version is hands down the best value of all password managers. I understand that it's more of a marketing tool to get users to suggest it to their workplace and that's where they overall make their money. The only complaint that I had is when I decided to pay for the premium service (I like to support businesses that make products that make my life easier). During this time, the app kept duplicating some secure notes that I made. I felt comfortable with the safety, but this was rather odd for the type of product it is. Lastly, they refunded me for my premium service (I decided to go with 1password for my personal password stash). My agency continues to use the enterprise version, and I have no problem with using that as well.

Lisandro R.

So much time saved!

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

In spite of the little hiccups, it's being a time saver for me personally and professionally. It's fast, reliable, and safe. Haven't heard of any data leak that has affected my data yet. The password search function is a great feature and the security challenge has helped me and the team be more aware and safer online.

Pros

What I like the most about the software is how robust it is. It's a powerful password manager and I feel my credentials are safe. Also, I like how easy it is to share passwords between teammates. We use a lot of different software and services online that jump between teams and projects, so being able to quickly share credentials is awesome. Finally, I love that you can log in with your fingerprint while using the mobile app.

Cons

The android app is kind of frustrating to use on both phones and tablets: sometimes the popup window to fill in the password doesn't even appear when needed and when it does it's either covered by the Chrome own password popup or jumping around. Also, both on PC and phones it logs me out more often than what's necessary, doesn't matter how many times I tell it I'm using my personal device. And finally, the user interface looks and feels kind of old.

Matthew G.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

LastPass is the perfect tool for multifactor authentication and general password management.

Reviewed on 11/05/2021

Password management is at the top of the list of things that people hate about the digital age we live in. This tool has made it much easier to manage, create and maintain the endless list of passwords that we have to deal with. I would recommend this to everyone and anyone who struggles with how to securely manage your passwords.

Pros

Password management is an unfortunately difficult process to management for people. LastPass has made it a very easy process to manage. Once the client is installed on the browsers for multiple machines and mobile devices, it is very easy to access the information you need quickly and intuitively.

Cons

I can't think of anything that I don't really like about the solution outside of the fact that if you lose your master password it's pretty much impossible to recover.

Danielle N.
  • Industry: Design

So Glad I Took the Plunge

Reviewed on 26/04/2021

I had been hearing about password managers for a few years before finally taking the plunge. And boy am I glad I did! Using a password manager has saved me a lot of headaches. LastPass was one of the top ones my peers mentioned the most, so that's the one I chose. My overall experience has been quite satisfactory.

Pros

I love being able to use strong passwords since I don't have to make them up myself or remember them or write them down in secret code - and then type them out to log in. LastPass does all that for me! Not only will it store and fill passwords for all your online accounts, but you can have it generate strong passwords with the parameters you configure (i.e. number and type of characters). Each password listing also includes a notes field which comes in handy.

Although I have not used it that often I like the option to store other data that LastPass can autofill for you in online forms such as your address and contact info and card number.

For backup outside of LastPass, you can at anytime export a CSV file of all the info you've stored in LastPass.

Cons

I can't think of any major complaints. Only, the mobile app was not very convenient for me. I mainly use the browser extension on my PC.

Nathan S.

LastPass is a great online based password manager tool....

Reviewed on 26/03/2018

Pros

LastPass is a great password manager that works much better than most password managers. One of its best features is the ability to share passwords with other users without revealing what those passwords are. It also integrates nicely with Chrome (which I use daily), and makes adding new passwords easy. The best part is everything is saved to the cloud so there is no weird connecting of cloud storage to set up. Its simply remember your password, install an extension or app and you are good to go. Whether used for personal or business use, the list of features LastPass offers makes it easy for me to recommend to anyone getting started with password managers. And oh did I mention its free?

Cons

Now not everything is rosy about it. One of the biggest gripes I have is that, it sometimes freezes up my browser when saving a new login or password and it can save the same login info several times, which makes it hard when trying to login into a site. I also find it a bit annoying that sometimes when I try to generate a password, it doesn't save the information based on the site that I am on. The mobile app is also lacking on the android side, despite the ability to draw over other apps, it always needs fresh permissions whenever I reboot my phone. Hopefully these things can be fixed with time but its remains one of the best options out there.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Who can keep up with all the passwords?

Reviewed on 17/02/2021

LastPass is a simle (yep, simple) browser add-on that lets you securely (key word there) store site login information. It is easy to use and intuitive.

Pros

I love the ability to store all my passwords and other login information in one place. This is especially true for me because my organization requires frequent changes (for security reasons). I can use LastPass to keep track of my previous passwords as well, as my organization does not allow me to reuse passowrds either. Aside from this, the ability to search through my long list of login information is a life saver!

Cons

My one peeve with LassPass is that sometimes it doesn't capture the username accurately. This was a real problem before I knew that it was happening.

Jonathan A.

Best password manager out there

Reviewed on 10/11/2017

You can't forget passwords you don't have to remember!
Speeds up login times, reduces frustration, enhances security, reduces impact of data breaches, allows me to access all of my passwords anywhere I need them.

Pros

The time it saves me along with the additional security and peace of mind it provides is immeasurable. I love being able to navigate the web and seamlessly just be logged in. It's been years since I've used a "forgot my password" link.
One of my favorite features is the ability to reset passwords in bulk - useful for updating your passwords after converting to random password for each site or refreshing them just because. It integrates with many popular sites to perform the resets in just a couple clicks. For those without integration, it does take a few more steps but it still makes the process much more convenient.
Also the secure notes field is a wonderful place to store sensitive info not fit for forms.

Cons

My only problem with LastPass may not really an issue with LastPass.. With some sites (maybe 5% of the time) LastPass fails to properly detect the username/password fields and cannot auto-fill credentials. This could be due to LastPAss or, more likely, the code on the website itself.

Rick P.
  • Industry: Design

Indispensable, essential security tool, but still has some quirks.

Reviewed on 05/09/2017

Peace of mind. Security.

Pros

Everyone needs unique logins for every website and service we use. This is the easiest to master tool for creating and managing passwords or across devices that I've tried. It's also the least expensive. The pricing tiers (basic essential tools are free) prove that LastPass as a company is committed to making the Internet a safer place for users, not just to make money. Advanced functionality is paid for by the companies that need it, not by average consumers. This makes me loyal, and I've paid the yearly fee even though I don't absolutely have to. Customer service is also excellent and responsive, particularly on Twitter. LastPass has also finally addressed some UI problems with their iOS app.

Cons

Logins and passwords are not always captured, or saved. Doesn't happen very often, but it does. In addition, I have an ongoing problem with WordPress.com. My main account is on the subdomain, en.wordpress.com, but when I go to simply wordpress.com, LastPass doesn't list that login as one of the saved ones. Very frustrating, and hasn't been solved in the years since I reported it.

Robert K.

A helping hand that really helps

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

Overall experience with Lastpass is decent. It loads fast taking into account that I have over 200 passwords stored on it with multiple accounts on the same site also.
It's not a pain to use, although it's moment every now and then when on some extension pages it does not fire up making it 100% useless if the password that is shared with you is private.
Easy to share with others and to setup folders for teams. I'm pretty happy with it otherwise.

Biggest time waste is that when someone shares something new with you, after you accept it, a simple refresh to the login page does nothing.
You have to logout of LastPass and then log back in so it "updates" all the data in your account and can be fired up as usual.
Sucks when you have a long master password that is not saved anywhere else like Google passwords for example (for security reasons)

Pros

UI is nice and intuitive
Easy to share passwords with others and setup permissions per person/team
Add-on for Chrome and Opera works near flawlessly

Cons

Fact that I need to logout and back in each time someone updates a password or provides a new one to me

Fact that sometimes if a website, in order to login, opens another page in a new browser session , sometimes Lastpass is not firing up.
So one needs to go into the vault and get the password from there . And if the password is hidden...well then though luck, you're locked out

• Industry: Food Production

Clean Password Manager

Reviewed on 07/12/2019

Prior to using LastPass, my team didn't have any consistent way of storing credentials - some would use the password manager built into the browser, while a few others would use an Excel sheet. After some digging around and comparing trials, we eventually settled on LastPass due to it's extra added security (MFA), clean interface, and the fact that it was also the easiest to use overall.

Pros

We use LastPass for Teams to store some of our credentials at work for sites we would only occasionally use, while also having a shared folder for the team-wide credentials that would come up every now and then.
The whole process was pretty straightforward with no issues at all - everything was set up within an hour or so, while adding and maintaining the credentials is done in a matter of moments. The options for Multifactor Authentication gives us an extra added layer of security in the case that any of our devices are compromised.

Credentials

Cons

We've been using the product for a few months now, but we have not actually run into any issues along any of the steps. The biggest concern on our radar is the security, as it does ultimately put our own data in someone else's hands in the case of a breach.

1Password and Dashlane for Business

Reasons for Switching to LastPass

Cleanest and easiest to use interface.
Luke A.

No more "What was my password again?"

Reviewed on 07/04/2021

We needed a means by which all staff could login to systems securely but, at the same time, a means by which they could login quickly and conveniently. LastPass does that and at a very affordable price.

Pros

The concept that I need only remember one password ever again is a life saver. I can access my vault of secure passwords on any device and always feel assured that my accounts are safe. Whether I'm using my phone and filling my password simply by looking at my phone or I'm on my desktop and using a browser plugin to login with a single click, the convenience and ease of use is so refreshing compared to the old world where my passwords would either have been insecure but memorable or easily forgotten. I also love that with a click of a button I can reset all of my passwords if I suspect foul play.

Cons

LastPass doesn't always auto-fill and can quite easily get confused when I've changed my password. Likewise the Vault quickly spirals out of control and now I feel like some housekeeping is in order.

John M.

Changed my perspective on password managers

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

LastPass is amazing and has provided our team with incredible efficiency. Updating passwords is now a breeze and we only have to remember 1 password. We can even customize the generated passwords based on the requirements of the vendor.

Pros

LastPass has provided my team incredible efficiency regarding maintaining all of our credentials. The best feature is the fact that we can share folders containing credentials that apply to our team. This has provided great efficiency for us.

Cons

LastPass has unveiled new updates recently that I have not been able to take advantage of. I am saying I like this least because I have not been able to even understand what the updates were because the explanation process was too complicated. Time is at a premium and I do not have time to study the update. I would like if they provided a short and simple explanation as to what the update was and how to implement it. I might end up liking the update, I just don't have the time to figure it out.

Alyssa B.

Life Saver

Reviewed on 24/06/2019

Overall, I would highly recommend this product to everyone! It's a game changer for sure.

Pros

This product is amazing! It was recommended to me by someone in our IT department, and I've been using it, and recommending it, ever since. It takes the guess work out of remembering different passwords, and can even assign random passwords to different things to make it more difficult to get into.

Cons

I have been using this for a couple years now, and I honestly haven't run into anything that I don't like yet. I'll update my review if I come across something in the future.